Brentwood Public Library has been awarded the Racing to Read grant from the Missouri State Library, allowing us to add all sorts of fun books and toys to the library that will enhance your child's engagement with learning to read. We have been incorporating books and props made possible by this grant into our storytimes, making it even more fun for kids and adults alike! Learn about numbers and upper- and lower-case letters using the magnetic board, or try your hand at sign language and braille using special alphabet blocks--all located (usually) on the ledge by the bay window in the Children's Library. We have also added word construction sets, a variety of puzzles, and other objects to enhance children's literacy by encouraging the connection between reading and play. These are available at any time on the low shelves behind Miss Lindsay's desk in the Children's Library.
Be sure not to miss the Racing to Read skill cards and bookmarks located on the low shelf next to the board books. Take as many as you need for tips and skill identification to help turn your child into a happy and productive reader.
Today’s libraries are much more than books, magazines, computers and DVDs. We’ve recently added lap-top computers, e-readers, puzzles, board games, Wii games, and a telescope! We’d like to expand our collection, so if you have any of the following items (gently used, only) please consider donating them to your library, we’d be happy to add them to our collection. You never know, maybe the croquet set you haven’t used in 10 years might be just what your neighbor needs for his next party. Give us a call if you have any questions, 314-963-8630.
- Yard games: croquet, badminton, bocce, horseshoes, etc.
- Board & family games, puzzles (with all pieces, please)
- Craft kits (unused or barely used)
- Toys: Legos, blocks, trucks, etc. (no stuffed animals or soft dolls)
- Tea sets, doll houses, wooden or plastic kitchen toys, etc.
- Musical instruments (no harmonicas or recorders)
- Puppets and puppet stages
- Wii, PlayStation and Xbox games and consoles
- Functioning laptop computers
Summer Reading Clubs - 2015
Summer Reading is HERE! This year's summer reading clubs will run from Tuesday, May 26th - Sunday, August 2nd. Click below for further details on each club or to register and report your progress online.
- Summer Reading Club Finale Party - Thu, 07/30/2015 - 3:30pm - 4:15pm
- Adult Summer Reading Club Happy Hour - Fri, 07/31/2015 - 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Lego Club: DRAGONS! - Sat, 08/08/2015 - 2:00pm - 3:00pm
- Brentwood Book Club August 2015 - Tue, 08/11/2015 - 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- Scrabble Club - Thu, 08/13/2015 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- PJ Storytime - Thu, 08/20/2015 - 6:30pm - 7:00pm
- Knitting by the Books - Mon, 08/24/2015 - 11:00am - 12:00pm
- Kids' Book Club: Smile by Raina Telgemeier - Wed, 08/26/2015 - 3:30pm - 4:00pm
Recent Book Reviews
The Princess and the Pony by Kate Beaton
Don't you wish princess books were just a little funnier and didn't always involve getting rescued by a knight in shining armor? You've...
ODY-C, Volume 1 - Off to Far Ithicaa by Matt Fraction; art by Christian Ward
Welcome to the wildest take on The Odyssey you've yet seen. Odyssia and her crew have just sacked Troiia and now begin their return voyage across...
The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy
The story of Lewis and Clark setting out to explore the unknown west, led by Sacagawea is re-imagined here in a post-apocalyptic adventure that will...